Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Can It be Easy to Be Green?

If you would have told me a few years ago that I would become a somewhat crunchy mama I would have said you have too much granola in your ears. It all started easily enough. I breastfed my first and although the first 2 weeks were pure hell on the nipples and my sleeping “schedule” was non exsistent we continued on for 15 months strong. This led to casually picking up a pair of reusable breast pads at Babies R Us.  I quickly discovered those were crappy and I sought after ones that worked better and were cuter. That was pretty much the extent of my crunchiness with my first baby. She was an extremely difficult baby and the idea of doing anything of the crunchy variety was quickly brushed aside as I took every spare minute to catch a few winks of sleep.

My second baby girl arrives. Breastfeeding is far easier this time around. Reusable breast pads were immediately placed upon my boobies and the only disposable ones I have used I won in a blog giveaway. In the three years since I have had a baby there has been a boom of “organic” and “natural” being thrown in my face. This time around I started thinking...hmm…could I do a little more for my family? Truth be told I can be an incredibly lazy person and I can honestly laugh at the crazy blog propaganda that is thrown around today in the tone of what is best for baby. It really all came down to money. The first major crunchy switch for this mama was the switch to cloth diapers. Can it be so…poop in my washing machine! Yep, I did it, I made the switch to cloth diapers and it has been so incredibly easy. I wash diapers 2 times a week and 3 months into this cloth journey has been dare I say…easy. Cloth diapers are wicked cute and I am saving money over disposables. Saving the environment from piles of my daughter’s poopy diapers has been nothing but a huge bonus. Go me! I am also a realist and to be completely honest to the 5 people that read this I use cloth diapers about 95% of the time. Could I do better, of course I can, but I am doing enough for me and my family.

How does your garden grow? So far, so good, thanks for asking. This is partially to give us healthy fruits and veggies to eat and partially because it is a great thing for my daughter to have…her own little garden. She waters it almost every day and she helps us weed and plant everything. We check on it every afternoon after daddy gets home from work. It is nice for her to see something grow that she did all on her own. We have big plans for an above ground garden next year. We have a huge back yard for it.

Do we shop at farmer’s markets, yes, we have tons all around us since we live in a small town on the coast. We have always used fresh ingredients for dinner every night, this does mean almost daily trips to the grocery store but it is right near our house. Other than frozen pizza our family rarely uses frozen food....oh yeah and bagel bites...yum! Do I make my own baby food, no, unless we happen to have something at dinner that can go in my baby blender real quick. I tend to buy more eco friendly cleaners, clothes and toys but they are not the driving force in my purchasing decisions. Am I a garbage picker, heck yes! Just last weekend I was driving by my parent’s neighbor’s house and they had a kid’s art table just sitting out there by their garbage. It would not fit in my minivan so I walked that thing 2 blocks home. A few Clorox wipes and aside from some scratches and paint marks from the previous owner it works great. I have also found a step 2 mini play house set and other goodies that people have thrown out. Re-use people!

Some say that since I am a hunter that makes me the opposite of crunchy but I say that makes me even crunchier. We do in fact shoot and eat animals so I know that my animals are cage free and they eat their meals off the land and that they had relatively good lives until they crossed the path of my weapon of choice. Some bunny people out there might think I am a horrible person and as a woman with a master’s degree in research would say…do your research. Hunting is a proven method of wildlife management. It is also a fun hobby I have done with my family most of my life and I hope to share the love of the outdoors with my girls as well. During gator hunting season here in Florida I also partake in that fun activity. Talk about crazy hunting....it is by far the hardest and most fun hunting that I have done. If you live in Florida you probably understand how important it is to keep the gator populations down...they are literally everywhere.

My next journey is a big step. Dare say it my biggest into the crunchy domain so far. I will be taking the cloth challenge and will attempt to switch to cloth reusable menstruation pads. In the long run cloth pads will be much cheaper over buying disposables every month and obviously they are better for the environment. The question remains…can I do it? Can I in fact make yet another small crunchy lifestyle change? I will be posting about my journey. Thanks to My Posh Pads they have furnished me with a starter set in the promise that I blog about my switch to cloth. Challenge excepted Posh Pads. This mama is ready!

1 comments:

Danielle

As your best crunchy friend, I love seeing that you've become crunchy!!! I'll be excited to hear about the mama cloth :) Granted, I doubt I'll ever switch from my DivaCup, but I want to hear how this goes!

Told you hunting could be considered crunchy :)

Post a Comment